Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS forum_topic_icon
Club Review, Miura 1957 Series K-Grind Wedges
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
March 15, 2015
12:03 am
Ottawa

Forum Posts: 197
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

My review is of the Miura Series 1957 K-Grind wedges, specifically the 60° model. I have to say that I was very excited when I was first offered the opportunity to review this club. As many experienced golfers know, Miura is responsible for many of the world's most famous modern OEM forgings, as well as producing some of the game's most desirable clubheads under their own logo. The 1957 Series clubs are a special edition line featuring irons, wedges, and putters.

When you first take this wedge out of the box you see the classic beauty. No offset. Simple clean, elegant lines, a gorgeous satin nickel-chrome finish, a clean mirror chrome wedge shaft, no shaft band or silk screening, and a black Miura-logoed Pure Golf grip. It's a club that looks like it knows what it's meant for. It's when you flip the head over to look at the sole that you see the "hidden" feature of this club.

The sole grind features three "fluted" ports along the edge of the flange. Miura likens them to "finger tip impressions, or even human knuckles" (I'd like to think this is possibly what the "K" stands for, but it's more likely for master club maker, Katsuhiro Miura). They claim that these impressions make the wedge more versatile in a wider variety of lies, offering less resistance, and better speed through the ball when you lay the face open. I found this very intriguing as I had done something very similar to a wedge I owned many years ago in an effort to raise the CG a bit. I couldn't wait to get this club down South to test!

My first stop was at a local course that has a large, mounded practice green complex, and a large 6-foot deep bunker. You can chip, pitch, and blast from almost any conceivable lie or angle. A great place to start.

The first thing you notice when you start chipping and pitching around is how unbelievably smooth the club feels at contact. Like soft butter. This is how a wedge is supposed to feel. Now I know you're probably thinking, "Yeah, he's got a new toy, and it's the BEST club ever. Just wait a couple of weeks and he'll be selling it on eBay." Believe me, it really did feel that good, and I hadn't even hit a full shot with it yet...

Out on the course, I now had the chance to put the wedge “through its paces”, as it were. On my first full swing with it, I decided to see how far I could stretch it out. Normally, if I lean on it, I can get a lob wedge to go 80 yards. This swing was from 100, and while I could feel it come off the face a “groove down”, it still had enough to cover the distance, and then some. I mentioned to one of the guys in my group, “that went pretty far.” My next full swing was in the 95 yard range. I caught this one flush, and the flight was beautiful. It was one of those swings that has that pure “nothing” feel at impact. The ball landed pin high and spun back and right about 10 feet.

Throughout the next few rounds, I deployed the wedge in any number of situations from inside 100 yards, and it passed with flying colours. I also found that the modified flange definitely made a difference on touch shots, especially from tight lies. There was a lot less rebound, and the contact was crisp. Regardless of what a clubhead is made of, you can feel the quality of a great design when you strike the ball, and this club delivered feel in spades.

From a price perspective, Miura wedges are not for the faint of heart. But, if you’re truly looking for an investment in your short game, these are definitely worth it.

miura-sole-1.jpg

miura-face-1.jpg

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

Tomorrow's just a future yesterday. - Craig Ferguson

March 15, 2015
8:50 am

Admin
Forum Posts: 2904

Great review Rule1.

Miura makes some outstanding products.

Golf Geek, Golf Industry Lifer (30 seasons and counting), PGA of Canada Candidate For Membership, Titleist Certified Fitting Professional  

March 15, 2015
9:43 am
Ottawa

Tour Star
Forum Posts: 93

As a confirmed "wedgeaholic" this is a beauty of a club , I love fluted ports on the back , very nice 

Forum Timezone: America/Toronto

Most Users Ever Online: 88

Currently Online:
20 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1

Members: 391

Moderators: 8

Admins: 3

Forum Stats: