The St. Lawrence District Golf Association was formed in 1925 when certain ardent golf enthusiasts at the Cataraqui Golf Club in Kingston, Ontario invited seven other St. Lawrence Valley Clubs to send their representatives to Kingston for a friendly invitational game.
The seven invited Clubs were: Brockville CC, Cornwall G & CC, Gananoque G & CC, Links O’Tay GC, Mississippi GC, Ogdensburg CC and Potsdam G & CC. Clubs have dropped out and others added through the years but the St. Lawrence Cup has been sought after by various Canadian and American Clubs.
At the dinner following the matches it was agreed that an annual competition would be established. Each Club would be represented by a six-man team and a trophy was put up by Cataraqui Members.
The first official tournament for the St. Lawrence Cup was held in Brockville in 1926 with the home team winning and the tournament has been continued every year since except 1943, 44 and 45 during the Second World War. The tournament rotates among the Clubs on an annual pre-arranged basis.
In 2015, the 87th St. Lawrence Cup competition was held at the Mississippi Golf Club on the occasion of their 100th Anniversary with the Cataraqui Team winning for the 47th time. Teams from Prescott, Brockville, Cornwall, Perth, Smiths Falls, Gananoque, Potsdam and Massena Golf Clubs also competed in the competition.
The Members of the St. Lawrence District Golf Association are very proud of their accomplishments and they look forward each year to renewing the fellowship and friendly competition.
/ Joe McLean @FlagstickJoe