RBC builds momentum in golf for 2011 by partnering with PGA Tour Stars Jim Furyk, Ernie Els and Matt Kuchar
Player ambassadors to champion important charitable causes
TORONTO, January 6, 2011— As the 2011 PGA TOUR season kicks off this week in Hawaii, RBC is deepening its involvement in the sport through new partnerships that will help build brand momentum and strengthen its charitable commitments.
Today, RBC is proud to announce new relationships with PGA TOUR stars Jim Furyk, Ernie Els and Matt Kuchar who will become ambassadors and represent the RBC brand at tournaments all over the world.
This announcement builds on RBC’s ongoing involvement in golf as the title sponsor of the 2011 RBC Canadian Open, which will be played at Shaughnessy Golf and Country Club on July 21 to 24 in Vancouver, British Columbia, and the Official Bank of the PGA of America. RBC also provides support for the Canadian Amateur Golf Championships, Golf Canada’s development program and high performance national team.
“Golf is one of the key drivers of RBC’s brand momentum,” said Jim Little, Chief Brand and Communications Officer at RBC. “As a leading global financial institution, we have the opportunity to partner with world class sports professionals like Furyk, Kuchar and Els. These players are well-respected and have global recognition; they will be great ambassadors for RBC and the charitable causes we support. By leveraging our golf sponsorship and the ambassador program, we are able to reinforce our brand relevance in Canada and increase our brand presence around the world.”
RBC becomes the official banking and financial services partner for each athlete and, as part of Team RBC, all players will carry RBC branded golf bags and be featured in RBC marketing and advertising planned for the U.S., Canada, and international markets. They join Anthony Kim, Fred Couples, Luke Donald, Stephen Ames, Mike Weir and Morgan Pressel as RBC’s golf ambassadors.
In 2011, RBC will continue to leverage its golf program to raise funds for important charitable causes, in particular children’s charities. Each player, event and partnership with which RBC is associated will be used to help give back to local communities, as well as increasing the prominence of RBC’s brand.
“RBC is one of the strongest and most stable banks in the world and I am impressed with their leadership and reputation,” said Ernie Els. “I’m proud to represent their brand, meet with their clients and support worthwhile charitable causes with them.”
“I am honoured RBC has selected me to be an ambassador for them on the PGA TOUR,” said Jim Furyk. “Having won twice in Canada, I am excited to see the impact RBC has had on their national championship and look forward to supporting them in their efforts both on and off the golf course.”
“After playing in the RBC Canadian Open last summer and witnessing first-hand what a dynamic organization RBC is, I am very excited at the opportunity to partner with them,” said Matt Kuchar. “They have become a big name in golf in a short period of time and I’m looking forward to helping grow their brand in the south-eastern states where I’m from and where their retail banking business is based.”
In 2010, Kuchar, Furyk, and Els finished first, second and third respectfully on the PGA Tour’s Official Money list, with Jim Furyk capturing the 2010 FedEx Cup and the PGA of America’s Player of the Year title.
About Ernie Els
- 18-time PGA Tour Winner including the 2002 Open Championship, and the 1997 and 1994 U.S. Open Championships.
- 26-time European Tour Winner and 24 World titles.
- Six-time Presidents Cup team member.
- Formed the Ernie Els Foundation in 1999 with the purpose of providing golf, educational and life skills support to disadvantaged children in South Africa.
- Established the Els for Autism Foundation in spring 2009 after son Ben was diagnosed with autism. The foundation is now in the midst of creating the Els Center of Excellence, a catalytic project that includes a global digital learning platform as well as education, research, medical and professional services and transition to adulthood programs for children on the autism spectrum.
- The Center will include an educational program for children age three to 21.
- Ernie Els Wines launched in 2002 and six wines are now housed under this portfolio.
- Ernie Els design is responsible for the design of nine golf courses throughout the world, with others currently under construction.
About Jim Furyk
- 16-time PGA Tour Winner including the 2003 U.S. Open Championship, and the 2007 and 2006 RBC Canadian Opens.
- Seven-time Ryder Cup, and six-time Presidents Cup team member.
- In 2010 Jim was named Player of the Year for both the PGA of America and the PGA Tour.
- Jim’s father Mike taught the game to him at a young age, and to this day is the only swing coach Jim has ever had.
- Primary philanthropic associations are with the Jim and Tabitha Furyk Foundation and the Children’s Miracle Network, among others
About Matt Kuchar
- Three-time PGA Tour Winner, and 2010 Ryder Cup team member.
- Winner of the 2010 PGA TOUR Money List with $4,910,477 in earnings.
- 2010 winner of The PGA of America’s Vardon Trophy, awarded each season to the touring professional with the lowest adjusted scoring average.
- Matt focuses his charitable efforts on Camp Twin Lakes which provides a network of camps for children struggling with illnesses, disabilities and challenges.
- Kuchar promotes a golf event held by Camp Twin Lakes each year and this past year he donated half of his Ryder Cup appearance funding.
- Also supports Ronald McDonald House and specifically the branch in Jacksonville, FL. where he allocated the other half of his Ryder Cup funding.