It’s a much-awaited occasion for mallet putter fans, especially those that have an affinity for the Scotty Cameron brand. Today the new line of Scotty Cameron Phantom X Putters from Titleist were revealed. Here is what you need to know:
- The new models are based on those developed for top professionals, including the 2021 PGA TOUR Player of the Year and the Rookie of the year.
- Seven models will be available on April 15 with another three expected to arrive on June 17.
- All the putters feature milled 303 stainless steel face construction, a new textured grip, and new graphics.
- Among the array of models are updates to the Phantom X 5, 5.5, and 12 models, re-designs for the Phantom X 7 and 7.5 models, and all-new Phantom X 9 and 9.5 models. The June mallet release will include a Phantom X and 11.5 and a straight-shafted Phantom X 5s.
- Scotty Cameron’s thoughts: “Each time I develop a line of putters, the new models go into the hands of the best players in the world. From Tour players, we get critical insight into what works for them – what they are looking for – both overall and specifically. From the type of neck configurations to topline thickness, to the sound and feel from the various types of materials and metal we use, professionals know what they want. And I’ve always taken my design cues from what the best in the world demand. With these new Phantom X mallets, I have the benefit of the past few years of input from players and a line that’s already established on Tour. The 2022 Phantom X mallets feature the ‘greatest hits’ of what we’ve developed – the solid stainless-steel faces, the new necks, the new shapes – rolled out in high-end, premium precision milled mallets designed to inspire us all to play better. I believe there’s a putter in this line that will appeal to just about every mallet player.”
- The refreshed Phantom X 11.5 will continue to feature a low-bend stepless steel shaft installed over a milled topline spud, while the updated Phantom X 7.5 and all-new Phantom X 9.5 will employ small slant/jet necks like the recently revamped Phantom X 5.5. The Phantom X 5, 7, 9, 11 and 12 models each have a stepless steel shaft engineered to minimize face rotation with a single mid-bend aimed directly down the target line. The summer-release Phantom X 5s has a straight stepless steel shaft installed near the center point of the topline with zero offset.
- New 2022 Phantom X stainless steel putter heads all undergo Scotty’s silver mist process for a near-permanent, radiant, yet glare resistant, appearance and texture. The 6061 aircraft grade aluminum components have been misted and anodized black. Scotty’s familiar three-dot theme carries through to the back cavities of the Phantom X 5, 5.5, 5s, 7 and 7.5 as unpainted, raw circles milled into the stainless steel. The sight lines on the Phantom X 5, 5.5, 5s are painted black, while sight lines on the Phantom X 7 and 7.5 employ a combination of black and white lines. The Phantom 9, 9.5, 11, 11.5 and 12 models’ sight lines are accented in light gray.